The number of foreigners living in Brazil has sharply increased in the last few years. People from all over the world have relocated to Brazil in search of better work and lifestyle opportunities. Or they just ended up getting stuck here somehow and don’t know how to leave. But I digress.
Brazil is not an easy place to adapt to and it is useful to consult with people who have gone through the same challenges as you. Sometimes you just need to be able to talk to someone in your own language about the problems you’re facing in Brazil, but it’s not always easy to find other foreigners in Brazil.
While many foreigners in Brazil live in isolated pockets and are unaware of other gringos amongst them, or actively go out of their way to avoid them, many have created groups and associations that cater to foreigners.
Here are the foreigner groups in Brazil that I am aware of. If you know of one that isn’t on the list, please share it in the comments.
All over Brazil:
- The Gringoes.com forum is the longest running online gathering place for foreigners in Brazil. They also have a Facebook group.
- Worldwide Expats in Brazil – A facebook group run with strong leadership and strict rules. It’s a great place to meet other expats in Brazil, and especially to commiserate about the challenges of living in Brazil. Make sure you read through and understand how the group works or else you’ll get booted.
- Internations is a worldwide organization that connects Expats and their families. It has chapters in Brasilia, Campinas, Goiana, Porto Alegre, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo.
- The Lonely Planett Thorntree forum is a good resource for asking questions when you can’t find an answer on Gringoes.
- Foreigners in Brazil Facebook group
- Couchsurfing – While not limited to just gringos, it can be a good place to meet other foreigners. Facebook group.
- Startup Brazil
- Foreigners in Brazil
- Network for Foreigners in Brazil
- English teachers in Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
- AngloInfo Rio de Janeiro – A website with lots of useful local information, with discussion boards and classifieds.
- Foreigners in Rio de Janeiro
- Rio Playgroup – A group for English speaking moms to get together and organize playdates for their kids.
- Gringos Buy & Sell – Gringos in Rio de Janeiro who want to sell used items.
- American Society of Rio de Janeiro – A group that promotes cross cultural relations. They have frequent events and a facebook group.
- Real Life English Rio de Janeiro
- Expat in Rio de Janeiro
- Expats living in Rio de Janeiro
- English teachers in Rio de Janeiro
- Entrepreneurial focused Gringos in Paradise
- AcroYoga Rio de Janeiro
- AngloINFO São Paulo – São Paulo branch of Anglo Info
- Gringos São Paulo facebook group
- International Newcomers Club of São Paulo – A social club for English speakers in Sampa.
- English teachers in São Paulo
- Expats and English speakers in Campinas
- Real Life English is an international community that brings together Belo Horizonte’s Gringos with English speaking Brazilians through parties and yoga classes. Facebook Group, Fan page, Website.
- Minas International – Minas International is a not for profit organization connecting English speakers living working or doing business in Minas Gerais through networking and MinasCare sustainable community development program. Facebook page, website.
- Belo Horizonte Gringo Network – A Facebook group for foreigners in Belo Horizonte
- Belo Horizonte Teachers Network
- San Pedro Valley – BH’s startup scene
- BH Acro Yoga
See also the guide to living in Belo Horizonte.
- Curitiba Expat Meetup – Support group for foreigners in Curitiba with local meetups.
- Real Life English Curitiba – Group that organizes English speaking meetups in Curitiba.
See also the guide to living in Florianópolis.
- Manaus Cricket Group
- AcroYoga Manaus
- Mochileiros em Manaus – Brazilian focused group for backpackers. Good way to meet Brazilians who have the travel interest in common and probably speak English.
- Porto Alegre English – A place to connect language schools with teachers and students.
- AISEC Porto Alegre
- Grupo de conversação em inglês
This list is constantly being updated. If you would like to suggest a group, please mention it in the comments.
Learn To Speak Portuguese in A Week
Ready to have your first conversation in Brazilian Portuguese?
Take the FREE e-mail course that get's you ready to have your first conversation in 1-week.
Sign up with your name and e-mail and I'll send you the first lesson.