It is possible to gain a basic level of proficiency in Portuguese within one year of study if dedicating around 1 hour per day, but becoming truly fluent would take longer. Here are some factors to consider:
- With daily 1 hour study sessions, you can expect to complete a beginner Portuguese course within 6-9 months. This will build basic vocabulary and grammar foundations.
- At an hour a day, you’ll complete around 200-260 study hours in a year. This allows slow but steady progress through beginner and into intermediate levels.
- Be sure to supplement lessons with podcasts, music, TV/films to accelerate language acquisition through comprehensible input.
- Additional time spent practicing conversation is important since speaking takes the longest to develop. Language exchange apps/tutors help with this.
- It may take 1-2 years at 1 hour daily to reach an intermediate-mid level where you can discuss most everyday topics comfortably.
- Fluency generally requires 2-4 years of focused study to attain near-native mastery of vocabulary, idioms etc.
- Immersion through travel is highly beneficial for accelerating listening/speaking skills.
So while basic proficiency is plausible in 1 year at 1 hour daily, becoming truly fluent takes longer. But it provides a solid start and allows continual growth beyond the first year through consistent study, practice and immersion over time. Commitment is key to maximizing progress.